Tuesday 19 June 2012

DIY: Fixing old shoes

Anyone who knows me will know pretty well that I'm a hoarder which results in me having so much stuff in my room that I just can't bear to throw away! When looking for a pair of shoes to wear the other day I found a pair of khaki dolly shoes that I really like and put them on. Upon looking at them properly I remembered why I never wore them - a few weeks after buying them my dog got a hold of them and chewed some of the beading on the toe of one shoe, leaving them odd and therefore unwearable.

Not wanting to throw them away as they cost about £20 and have only been worn like twice, plus I really do love them, I decided to have a go at fixing them. I had the mindset that if it went wrong it wouldn't really matter, as either way I wouldn't be able to wear them.

The shoes before with half of the beading missing.

The shoes after, minus the beads!

This was so easy to do. Obviously not everyone will be using the same shoes but this is how I did mine, just simply adapt to the shoes you use.

Things needed:
- One pair of shoes
- Scissors (I actually used nail clippers but that's because I couldn't find scissors anywhere, but probably not the best option)
- Plastic bag to put the things removed in (I just used one of the little ones from Boots, although later discovered that it has holes in the bottom so beware!)

  1. Firstly, make sure that you have a clear, hard surface to do this on.
  2. Work out exactly which bits you are going to remove and how they will be removed, you don't want to cut the wrong bit and end up with a ruined shoe!
  3. Start cutting. If yours involves small parts coming off then make sure you do this over the plastic bag as you don't want them going everywhere.
  4. Once finished dispose of the rubbish and you can wear your good as new shoes!
I hope you enjoyed this post and will find it useful. Also, let me know if you would like more posts like this?

3 comments:

  1. Cute shoes! I love flats!

    I just followed, follow back?
    I'd really appreciate it <3
    http://www.ashleythefashionguru.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, very clever.
    - Keyta x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, this is so gosh darn nifty! i always love finding helpful little tutorials :)
    really cute little blog, by the way! love it!

    -alexandra
    http://alexisinodak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I'd love it if you would leave a comment :) x